Jesse Riggins
Below is an excerpt from our Waxahatchee Vol. 2 zine, highlighting Katie Crutchfield's thoughts on her first two Waxahatchee LPs, 2012's American Weekend and 2013's Cerulean Salt.
American Weekend:
"My birthday is on January 4. Right after my birthday in 2011, there was a big snowstorm. And I wrote and recorded American Weekend in a week. I had kind of been toying with the Waxahatchee moniker and wanting to do solo music more. A lot of that just came from the dynamics of my band at the time with my sister Allison, P.S. Eliot, which was getting a little strained. I really felt like the main creative force in the band, and the democratic kind of nature just wasn't working. So that snowstorm happens, and I write and record this whole album by myself in a week. Then I moved to New York about a month later, and just sat with this record. I didn't do anything with it and didn't share it with anybody but Allison. It kind of soundtracked my first few months in New York. I worked at this coffee shop, and every once in a while I would put the album on, not say anything and just see if anybody said they liked it. It sat shelved for about a year, and then eventually this label, Don Giovanni, came to me and was like, “Hey, we would really like to release the next P.S. Eliot album." I basically was like, “There's not going to be another P.S. Eliot album, but I do have this album that I just made.” That record cycle - if we want to call it a record cycle - was super DIY. I did a two-month tour that was really just me and my best friend Kush, and we drove all around. I had no amp and just played in people's living rooms and in art galleries. Then, at the end of the year, I remember it got a Pitchfork honorable mention, and I was like, “Whoa, that's crazy!" It felt like there was a real word-of-mouth thing happening, in a more mainstream way than anything I’d done before."
Cerulean Salt:
"By the time there was any real press for American WeekendCerulean Salt was in the bag. We made it in the basement of our punk house in Philadelphia. It was very casual. We weren't in a fancy studio or anything. The instrumentation on that record was super sparse. My partner Keith and I actually went to my parents' house on Waxahatchee Creek and recorded a version of Cerulean Salt in the summer of 2012. Then we both were kind of like, “Ah, I feel like these songs are really cool, and we don't really know what we're doing.” Kyle, Allison's partner at the time, had gone to SUNY-Purchase for recording. We were all super young and he hadn't recorded a ton of stuff, but he knew how. I feel like I was a little bit of his guinea pig! He recorded Cerulean Salt and, immediately, it sounded a million times better! We all lived together and just slowly worked on it for six weeks. Honestly, a lot of that felt accidental. Now I feel so much more intentional with how I do everything with my music. And at the time, I wasn't looking at it like a career. Not that I didn't take a lot of pride in it, because I really did, but I didn't really have the resources, or have the knowledge or the experience. I was so naive. We just were doing our best. It was right place, right time, right album."